This program seeks to identify challenges that must be addressed in accelerating the reclamation of tailings ponds and disposal areas and to catalyze necessary research, demonstration and development efforts to resolve them.
Completed Tailings Reclamation Projects
Follow the links for the results of each project or go to the ERA site to see all OSRIN Reports.
- 2013 Tailings Technology Development Workshop Dr. Haneef Mian, NAIT
- A Design-of-Experiment Approach to Optimize the Methylene Blue Titration Method for Oil Sands Tailings Clay Activity – Dr. Haneef Mian, NAIT Applied Research Center for Oil Sands Sustainability
- Application of Forward Osmosis Membrane Technology for Oil Sands Process-Affected Water Desalination – Dr. Yang Liu, University of Alberta
- Benign By Design: Engineered Si Nanoparticles for Oil Sands Process Water Contaminant Remediation – Dr. Jonathan Veinot, University of Alberta
- Catalogue of Analytical Methods for Naphthenic Acids – Dr. Haneef Mian, NAIT
- Community Structure and Bio-Prospecting in Oil Sands Tailings Ponds – Dr. Joel Dacks, University of Alberta
- Designer Biochar-Coke Mixtures to Remove Naphthenic Acids from Oil Sands Process-affected Water (OSPW) – Dr. Daniel Alessi, University of Alberta
- Development of a Novel Engineered Bioprocess for Oil Sands Tailings Fines/Bitumen/Water Separation - Dr. Mohamed Gamal El-Din, University of Alberta
- Development of Silicon-based Optofluidic Sensors for Environmental Monitoring – Dr. Ray DeCorby, University of Alberta
- Engineered Biological Processes to Accelerate Oil Sands Tailings Consolidation and Improve Reuse Water Quality – Dr. Tong Yu, University of Alberta
- Expedited Oil Sands Tailings Consolidation Through Microbial Induced Calcite Precipitation – Dr. Yang Liu, University of Alberta
- In-Situ Tailings Ozonation: A Combined Tailings Consolidation and Remediation Process – Dr. Yang Liu, University of Alberta
- Mining Clean Bitumen Technology Action Plan – Petroleum Technology Alliance Canada (OSRIN provided start-up funding as one of several participants; no report was prepared)
- Quantitative Characterization of Air Pollutant Emissions from Oil Sands Tailing Ponds: Phase 1 – Review and Assessment of Air Pollutant Measurement Technologies – Dr. Zaher Hashisho, University of Alberta
- Reclamation of Dewatered Fine Tailings – BGC Engineering Inc.
- Silicon Nanoparticle Membranes for Photocatalytic Oil Sands Process Water Treatment – Dr. Johnathan Veinot, University of Alberta
- Standard Operating Procedures and Physical Properties of Oil Sands Naphthenic Acids – Dr. Haneef Mian, NAIT Applied Research Center for Oil Sands Sustainability
- Synthesis of Toxicological Behavior of Oil Sands Process-Affected Water Constituents – Dr. Mohamed Gamal El-Din, University of Alberta
- Tailings Conference Sponsorships
- Tailings Dewatering Technology Review – BGC Engineering Inc.
- Tailings Water Management Project – WaterSMART